Oh the dreaded postpartum recovery. You guys, it’s no joke. But as a second time mom, I feel a lot more prepared this time around, so I thought I’d round up some of my favorite postpartum essentials with you guys and share my very honest experience with postpartum care.
We spend so much time prepping for our babies, but we really ought to spend a little more time prepping for how we’ll take care of ourselves, too, once they get here!
So here are a few of the postpartum essentials I couldn’t live without last time plus some new ones that I’ve stocked up on this time around.
Click here to watch on YouTube.
- TUCKS PADS: These are seriously magical. They’ve got witch hazel (full of healing properties) and they’re basically just little circular pads that you can place on your underwear that’ll make your whole down there area feel so much better.
- ADULT DIAPERS: I’m giving these a shot this time around because when I gave birth to my daughter, I just used the mesh panties they gave me at the hospital. I wasn’t a fan of those – I felt like my pad was moving around all the time – so I’m giving these a go. If you want to see what they look like on, I try them on in the video above LOL. You’re welcome.
- EARTH MAMA BOTTOM SPRAY: This is a great alternative to the Dermoplast that most hospitals provide you with. It’s kind of like a numbing spray for your nether regions, but this one just felt so much better and was a little more natural in my opinion. Probably one of the postpartum essentials I recommend the most.
- PERI BOTTLE: They’ll typically give you one of these in the hospital, but the one I’ve linked here is an upside down one that I think’s gunna work a little better. You’ll use this to sprinkle water on yourself down there because in case you didn’t know, you won’t be wiping yourself with toilet paper for a few weeks until you heal.
- INFLATABLE DONUT: Dear Lord this was the biggest life saver of all time. Two words: butt pressure. After I gave birth to my daughter, I couldn’t even sit down in the hospital bed from how bad it was, and this was just glorious to have. #normalizethebuttpillow
- NURSING BRAS: These are the best nursing bras I’ve found so far. I also try them on in the video above if you wanna see how they fit.
- EARTH MAMA NIPPLE BUTTER: This is great if you’re planning on nursing. It’s a more natural alternative to some of the other nipple creams on the market, so that’s what I like to use when my nipples need some love.
- SITZ BATH: This is great for postpartum recovery. It’s a little bathtub that you put over your toilet and then you sit down and soak in it. Makes everything down there feel better.
- EPSOM SALTS: I used these anytime I took a sitz bath. Just pour a little bit into some warm water and soak for a good 5-10 minutes.
- BELLY BAND: After you give birth, you’re still gunna look very pregnant, so I loved having some kind of compression around my belly to help things feel somewhat normal again. This is the one I used two years ago, but there are tons of them out on the market.
MORE PREGNANCY RELATED VIDEOS:
- Things They Don’t Tell You About Childbirth
- What’s In My Hospital Bag For Labor + Delivery
- Baby Products I Regret Buying
- Postpartum Essentials + Recovery
- Things They Don’t Tell You About Breastfeeding
- Baby Registry Mistakes You Don’t Want To Make