Alright you guys so if you’re a fan of Instagram but need a little help making your Instagram Stories look AMAZING, then you’ve come to the right place! Today I’m sharing a few of my favorite Instagram stories hacks that totally blew my mind when I figured out how to use them and I’m sure you’ll be super excited to learn how to do them too.
Now Instagram IS a visual platform so I’m going to do my best to explain these to you via text, but I do plan on making a video on my YouTube channel showing each of these so stay tuned for that.
Let’s just get on with it, shall we?
Recommended Reading: Leave Your Mark – Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
(Listen to it for free here with your free Audible trial)
1. Creating Instagram Stories highlight icons – I’m sure most of you guys know this one already but in case you don’t, feel free to check out my step-by-step guide here.
2. Access to the entire color wheel – I had ZERO idea you could do this, so this one really made me feel like I had been missing out on life. When you click the text option (Aa) on the upper right hand corner and get all the colors on the bottom to choose from, click on one of the colors (the little circles at the bottom) and hold down on it (here I held down on the yellow circle)…then the full color wheel will pop up and you can move your finger around and choose whichever darn color you want! BAM. You’re welcome.
3. Use the color picker to select your color – Also, if you click on the color picker, you can drag it over to any part of your picture and it’ll match the color of that area on your picture. That’s good if you want to make your text super matchy-matchy to your photo.
4. Solid color background – Again, something I had been doing so wrong. Well not wrong, but this used to take me a lot longer than it needed to. Basically, when you’re posting to Instagram stories and you want a solid background to write some text on, I used to google something like “pink solid background” and then upload that image to my Instagram story. Sure, you can still do that, but that’s a lot of extra work. Instead, open up your Instagram story and take a picture of anything. Then, select the brush icon up top (third icon), choose the color you want for your background, and then tap and hold down on the center of the screen. Isn’t that amazing?
5. Sheer overlay – Similar to the solid color background, you can also add a sheer overlay to a photo on your Instagram stories. Just take the photo, then click on the brush icon and then click on the second icon from the right, then choose your color, then hold down in the center of your photo.
6. Use fun fonts – Sure, you can use the fonts that Instagram has up top like Classic, Modern, Neon, etc. but you can also use other fonts super easily! Go to www.coolsymbol.com, click on fancy text, enter whatever it is you want to write, and then copy and paste your text into your Instagram stories! Again, I was super excited about all of these Instagram hacks, but this one in particular blew my mind.
7. Animated Instagram stories – If you’ve seen those super cute animated Instagram stories that look like they took five years to make, chances are, they didn’t. A lot of people have been using an app called Hype Type and/or buying Instagram Stories templates like this on Creative Market. They also have static templates too. I love these and think they make things look so legit.
8. Different sticker versions – Did you know that if you click on the stickers once you’ve added them to your story, most of them have a different version you can choose from? Yaaaaas.
9. Add a photo from your feed directly to your Instagram story – How freaking awesome is this? Click on the photo on your feed that you want to put onto your story and then click on the little airplane looking thing. Then click on “add post to your story.” From there, add text, emojis, whatever you want and then post to your story! So so easy!
10. Popup card trick – similarly to the previous hack, if you want that look of a blurred background with your latest photo, go to your feed, hold down on whichever photo you want to do this with and scroll up. Without releasing your finger, take a screenshot, and then you can upload that to your stories!
So there you go! I hope you guys found this super handy because I know what it’s like to see all these instagrammers doing these cool things and think, “What the heck?! How do you do that?” Well my friends, now you know.
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and you’ll be the first to know about any other tips and tricks I find. Plus, I’d love to have you be a part of our little community over here! Also follow me on Instagram and YouTube and let’s be friends!
PS – If you’re interested in joining my free Start A Blog 5-day e-mail course, click here and you’ll get your first e-mail today!
Resources for creative professionals:
- Blog, Inc.
- Creative, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing To Write About
- Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
- Crush It
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
- The 24 Hour Resume Makeover (save 30% with promo code REACH30)
- One Month Web Development Bundle
- Excel Masterclass
- Build Your Own Brand
- Power Up Podcasting