So tell me, are you happy?
Like, honestly… happy?
Do you even know what happiness is, really?
Or are you like most of us… stressed out all the time?
Do you spend hours in your room crying because life isn’t working out the way you thought it would?
Because if the answer is yes, I’m going to tell you right now…you gotta stop doing that.
Our twenties are a mess.
A legit freaking mess.
We’re constantly stressed out and confused and don’t really know what to do with our lives.
Then, the real-world welcomes us with an even bigger slap in the face.
We’re suddenly wearing five different hats…
We’re suddenly juggling 700,000 responsibilities at once…
Of course, it’s stressful.
And it sucks.
Mostly because we’ve been taught our whole lives that things are supposed to get better as time goes by.
The older we get… the happier we become. So we’ve been told.
Because, you know… when we get older, we graduate college and we get awesome jobs and we get married and we have the cutest kids and everything is wonderful.
That’s the story we’ve told since before we can remember.
But the truth is this…
We don’t just somehow get happier.
We don’t just wake up one day and feel happier.
It doesn’t happen like that.
Happiness isn’t a given.
It takes work.
It takes time.
And most importantly, it takes some serious self-reflection.
So in the meantime, while you’re figuring out what makes you happy and what doesn’t, here are a few things we can all do to make our lives a little bit better…
To make things a little more bearable…
Because we really can be happier.
Right. This. Very. Minute.
And I refuse to accept anything other than that.
1. Stop living in the future
Today isn’t tomorrow. Today isn’t five years from now. Today is today, so enjoy it. Sure, we should all have dreams, but we need to make an effort to stop living our lives completely in the future. We spend so much time thinking about and planning for the future that we often miss out on so much of the present. Focus on what’s in front of you. It’ll be gone before you know it.
2. Stop buying so much stuff
Money lets you buy things. And sure, things are great. But you know what’s even better? People. Relationships. Experiences. Stop spending so much money on things that’ll end up in the trash next year. You know you don’t need half the things you have in your closet. Instead, save money. Give yourself that peace of mind. Instead, use that money to visit your family. Use that money to travel. But infinite amounts of clothes and shoes and electronics? Such a waste.
3. Stop seeking everyone’s approval
You can’t get everyone to like you. There. End of story. Now stop trying to please everyone. Do things for yourself. I promise you, it’s probably the best thing you can do right now if you ever want to live a happy life.
4. Stop second guessing yourself all the time
Ugh. Should I? Shouldn’t I? But… what if…all these questions ultimately lead to inaction. Listen to your gut. Learn to trust your intuition. If you want to do something, do it. Because if you second guess every move you want to make, you’ll never go anywhere, and how absolutely lame would that be?
Join the happiness movement!
Search the hashtag #100happydays on Instagram!
Books on blogging to help you take your blog to the next level:
- Building A Framework
- Blog, Inc.
- Creative, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing To Write About
- Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
- Crush It
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
Books to help you deal with your twenties:
- 101 Secrets For Your Twenties
- Life After College
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter & How To Make The Most of Them
- Adulting: How To Become A Grown Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
- All Groan Up: Searching For Self, Faith, and A Freaking Job!
Other stuff you might like:
- Generation Y Redefines Success
- How To Be Rich in Your Twenties
- The 5 Most Valuable Lessons Grad School Taught Me
- Pursue a Lifestyle, Not a Job
- Why It’s Okay to Be Excited About the Awesome Stuff You’re Doing
- Why We Need to Get Over Our Fear of Rejection
- Don’t Wait, Be Happy Now
- The 5 Best Investments You Can Make in College
Follow me on:
*Affiliate links are included in this post.