My Blog Media Kit (and how it’s helped me so far)
In last month’s blog income report, I told you guys that I was hoping to finally put together my blog media kit.
Actually, I said that back in June too, so I’ve been slacking.
But you know what???
IT’S FINALLY DONE!
Wooohoooo, go me!
SUPER happy to cross that of my to-do list.
It all boils down to this…
More and more, companies are working with bloggers to promote their products.
(You guys, we’re the media of the future! We’re the influencers!
Isn’t that exciting?!!!!
I certainly think so.)
And because of that, opportunity is out there to work with brands and to make some money blogging.
But in order to make that happen, you gotta show companies that you’re serious about what you’re doing, and having a media kit definitely helps.
It helps build credibility, and it tells prospective clients what you’re all about.
Now, I’ve known this for a while now, but I’ve had fifty million things to do lately and I just hadn’t gotten around to doing it.
But not this month!
This month I headed over to HIP Media Kits and I downloaded their Turner Media Kit Template. It was $28.99 for four different color templates, and it was totally worth it.
I used the HIP Media Kit template and then played around with the header using a gold Photoshop style that I bought from Nicky Laatz over at Creative Market.
I’m officially OBSESSED with Creative Market, by the way.
Bye-bye, all my money! It’s been nice knowing you!
But anyway, here’s what it looks like!
I’m still playing around with the fonts, but having the template made it SO EASY to put together!
And now that I’ve finally started recording my income and working my blog like a business, I’ve been tracking my expenses (like this one) to deduct them come tax-time.
The best part about finally making some income off of my blog is that I’ve reached the point where I can now invest in my business a little.
This is one of those investments!
And it’s already paid off.
A few weeks ago, I knew I’d be staying in South Beach for a much needed weekend getaway with Joe.
So I sent out a nice e-mail to the customer service team at the hotel I wanted to stay at, sent them my media kit, and asked them if there was anything they could do about my room rate in exchange for a blog post about my stay.
In the end, I got a room on South Beach for $50.
Can’t beat that!
(And we had an absolutely awesome time, just saying!)
I love having a media kit, because it makes me feel oh-so-much-more-official now.
I’ve officially reached blogger big-girl status.
So if this is something you’ve been thinking about doing for a while now, you wanna know what my advice is??
GO FREAKING DO IT!
No more excuses, guys!
You work hard on your blogs!
Don’t you want to take them to the next level?
Create one yourself, or if you’re a little on the lazy side like me, buy a template!
And for those of you who DO take the leap and create one, PLEASE, e-mail it to me so I can check it out, or feel free to leave a link to it in the comments!
Any other thoughts about media kits? Feel free to share your thoughts about them too!
Have a great week guys!! Looking forward to seeing what you create!
Books on blogging to help you take your blog to the next level:
- Building A Framework
- Blog, Inc.
- Creative, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing To Write About
- Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
- Crush It
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
Books to help you deal with your twenties:
- 101 Secrets For Your Twenties
- Life After College
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter & How To Make The Most of Them
- Adulting: How To Become A Grown Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
- All Groan Up: Searching For Self, Faith, and A Freaking Job!
Other stuff you might like:
- June Blog Income Report
- You Can Make Money Blogging Without Tons of Page Views
- Generation Y Redefines Success
- How To Be Rich in Your Twenties
- The 5 Most Valuable Lessons Grad School Taught Me
- Pursue a Lifestyle, Not a Job
- Why It’s Okay to Be Excited About the Awesome Stuff You’re Doing
- Why We Need to Get Over Our Fear of Rejection
- Don’t Wait, Be Happy Now
Follow me on:
* This post contains affiliate links, so if you decide to use any of my links, I’ll receive a small commission of anything you purchase. A BIG THANKS for supporting Gen Y Girl.