The past few weeks I’ve heard a bit about some new social media platform called Periscope (and no, in case you’re wondering, this isn’t a sponsored post).
My initial thought process was along the lines of… “oh, great. another site to keep up with.”
But I came across this post from The Thinking Closet on how to use Periscope, and I finally just said, forget it… I’m just gunna download it.
So I downloaded the app, created my profile, and started playing around with it a little.
I was super hesitant at first, because the basic concept of Periscope is live streaming.
And given that I absolutely hate the sound of my voice, live streaming’s never really been on the to-do list for me.
But you know what?? I really think this is gunna be awesome.
Because Periscope allows us to totally connect with our readers.
I mean, haven’t any of you ever wondered what I’m like in real life? Haven’t you wanted to know what I sound like??
Periscope gives you that connection with your readers, and I really think it’s a platform that all big time bloggers are gunna start using.
But even if you just started blogging, think about giving it a shot, because I think you’ll find that it’s gunna be really really useful in building your brand.
Here are just a few ways you can use Periscope to connect with your audience:
1. Do a show & tell – my first Periscope broadcast was literally just a video of me showing everyone what I bought at Nordstrom that day. Whenever I go shopping during my lunch break at work, I always bring back what I bought to the office to do a show and tell and it’s always a huge hit. People love seeing what you buy, so next time you pick up something cute, show everyone!
2. Teach people how to do something – think about it… what could you possibly show someone that might be useful to them? Maybe broadcast yourself making a quick 4 ingredient smoothie? Maybe show everyone how you organize your make-up drawer? You know your readers. You know what they like. So just teach them something new!
3. Host a virtual office-hours session – Us bloggers, we get a lot of e-mails sometimes. And sometimes, those e-mails tend to sit in our inbox for weeks and months and some of them sadly end up in the “it’s been so long since they’ve sent this and I’m just so embarrassed that I haven’t responded yet, so I’m just going to pretend that I never got it in the first place” folder. Yep- don’t lie. It’s happened. But we can fix that. If you schedule just a half hour every week for virtual office-hours, you can let all your readers know to check out your broadcast at that time on that specific day and what you can do is you can either respond to e-mails that have already been sent to you, or you can have readers submit live questions and you can respond to those in real-time. Think this would be super fun!
4. Give a tour of your house or your office – Come on, by now you should know just how nosy we all are! We’re all dying to get a behind the scenes look at the lives of all of our favorite bloggers. So clean your house one day, and give us a tour!
5. Take your readers on adventures with you – Whether you’re traveling to the Grand Canyon, going for a run, or just sitting down at a restaurant eating your dinner, BROADCAST it! You don’t have to broadcast yourself eating your entire meal, I don’t really want to see you chewing your food, but show us something! What are you up to? Where are you at? Are you checking out a new coffee shop for the first time? We’d love to see that! Because we forget that we have readers all over the world. I mean, I’m from Miami and I know what Miami looks like, but maybe someone from Chicago doesn’t, and I think it’s so cool that we can share our surroundings with anyone who’s interested.
Now I could keep going, and maybe in a future blog post I will, but I think you get the point.
We’re looking for connection, people. That’s what blogging’s all about.
Forming relationships and sharing information.
So if there’s a cool new way to do that?
Let me know what you guys think of Periscope!! Have any of you tried it? Let’s be friends! Follow me at @GenY_Girl and leave your usernames in the comments below so I can follow you guys too!
YAY for learning new things! 🙂
Oh, and you might want to invest in a Tri-Pod for your phone. Just ordered mine right now.
Books on blogging to help you take your blog to the next level:
- Building A Framework
- Blog, Inc.
- Creative, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing To Write About
- Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
- Crush It
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
Books to help you deal with your twenties:
- 101 Secrets For Your Twenties
- Life After College
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter & How To Make The Most of Them
- Adulting: How To Become A Grown Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
- All Groan Up: Searching For Self, Faith, and A Freaking Job!
Other stuff you might like:
- Generation Y Redefines Success
- How To Be Rich in Your Twenties
- The 5 Most Valuable Lessons Grad School Taught Me
- Pursue a Lifestyle, Not a Job
- Why It’s Okay to Be Excited About the Awesome Stuff You’re Doing
- Why We Need to Get Over Our Fear of Rejection
- Don’t Wait, Be Happy Now
- The 5 Best Investments You Can Make in College
Follow me on:
*Affiliate links are included in this post.