I’ve been doing a whole lot of nothing lately.
Well, actually, that’s not true.
Truth is, I’ve been doing a whole lot of something.
I’ve been avoiding a whole lot of stuff.
And so today, I’ve spent some time reflecting.
Why am I the world’s greatest procrastinator, and why the heck am I avoiding things?
I have so many thoughts and ideas floating around in my brain all the time, but the second I get home, I put those ideas to the side.
I’ll get around to them later.
Not now, though.
Now, I’m relaxing.
So sometimes, I’m just tired.
Tired from work.
Tired from life.
Tired from dealing with mean people all day.
But sometimes, it’s something else.
Sometimes, I have the energy, but I can’t sit down and write.
I can’t sit down and do the things that matter.
And I think it’s because I’m scared they won’t be perfect.
When it comes to my business and my blog, I find myself increasingly scared to write.
What if what I have to say doesn’t matter?
What if no one reads it?
What if they don’t like it?
It’s so easy for questions and doubt to fill our heads.
And that fear can totally consume us to the point where the only thing we can do is nothing.
But you know what?
I’m over it.
I’m over the fear.
I’m over the nothingness.
I’m ready to get back on track.
In most things, and particularly when it comes to creating, we have to fully embrace the fact that we’ll never be perfect.
Sometimes people will like our stuff.
Sometimes people will hate it.Sometimes people will like our stuff. Sometimes people will hate it. That's the life of a creative. Click To Tweet
But the plus side is that we get to do it!
We get to create!
We get to make things
Sometimes beautiful things.
Things that do sometimes matter.
And I think it’s so worth it.
So if you like my stuff, then great.
And if you don’t, you’re still kind of cool.
And that’s the attitude you need to have if you want to keep going.
And you need to.
You need to keep going.
So if you’ve been in a creative rut, GET THE F* OUT OF IT.
Pick up a piece of paper and draw.
Open up a document, and start typing.
Write a song.
Write a book.
Write a blog post.
Make some noise.
Design something fabulous.
Do it for you.
Do it because you need to.
And don’t you freaking worry about what anyone else thinks.
It’s going to be beautiful.
New to blogging? This might be a good place to start.
Oh, and I’m now offering 1-on-1 coaching sessions via phone to help answer any blogging questions you may have. $25 for a one hour session. Would love to share any advice I can give you, and make a new friend along the way! Contact me here for additional info 🙂
Books on blogging to help you take your blog to the next level:
- Building A Framework
- Blog, Inc.
- Creative, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing To Write About
- Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job, Kill It In Your Career, Rock Social Media
- Crush It
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
Books to help you deal with your twenties:
- 101 Secrets For Your Twenties
- Life After College
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter & How To Make The Most of Them
- Adulting: How To Become A Grown Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
- All Groan Up: Searching For Self, Faith, and A Freaking Job!
Other stuff you might like:
- Generation Y Redefines Success
- How To Be Rich in Your Twenties
- The 5 Most Valuable Lessons Grad School Taught Me
- Pursue a Lifestyle, Not a Job
- Why It’s Okay to Be Excited About the Awesome Stuff You’re Doing
- Why We Need to Get Over Our Fear of Rejection
- Don’t Wait, Be Happy Now
- The 5 Best Investments You Can Make in College
Follow me on:
*Affiliate links are included in this post.